Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Study
A Study for the Nashville Region
The regional bicycle and pedestrian study is intended to help establish a strategic vision for improving walking and bicycling opportunities in the greater Nashville region. That strategic vision feeds into the Nashville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization's (MPO's) overall regional transportation plan and provides the basis by which future funding priorities of the MPO are established for bicycle and pedestrian accommodations within Davidson, Maury, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, and Williamson.
Working with local governments, businesses, non-profit organizations, and the general public, the Nashville Area MPO recently updated several tools from its Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Study.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Levels of Service, Bicycle and Pedestrian Latent Demand Model, and Inventory of Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities have been updated and show significant increases in the number of facilities in the region as well as the increasing demand for bicycle and pedestrian travel. County maps showing the updated inventory, roadway levels of service, and demand are below.
- Provide a comprehensive inventory of existing and currently proposed on and off -road bicycle and pedestrian facilities in the greater Nashville region.
- Increase the region's understanding of how improving walking and bicycling connectivity between residential areas, employment centers, schools, retail centers, recreational centers, and other attractions increases individual mobility, enhances transit options, and promotes active living.
- Serve as a framework for identifying and selecting bicycle/pedestrian projects for the Regional Transportation Plan and Transportation Improvement Program.
- Provide guidance for engineering, education, enforcement, encouragement, and evaluation activities to help improve the safety of walking and bicycling.
- Tech Memo #1- 2014 Inventory of Facilities and Level-of-Service Analysis
- Tech Memo #2- 2014 Non-Motorized Demand, Physical Activity Assessment
- 2013 Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts - Executive Summary
- 2011 Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts - Executive Summary
- 2009 Bicycle and Pedestrian Study
Senior Policy Analyst